||Instantly lowers the ambient temperature of everything in a medium-sized area. Will flash-freeze most Hoxxes wildlife - as well as any hapless DRG employees caught in the blast zone.
||~ Item Description
The Cryo Grenade is an unlockable throwable for the Scout. It is a large white canister which glows blue in certain highlights.
The Cryo Grenade produces a large icy explosion, capable of instantly freezing enemies in place upon contact with a foe. This grenade will roll and explode on a fuse timer, but will instantly detonate the moment it hits a target. Frozen enemies will take triple damage and cannot move until they are thawed out, meaning this grenade can severely weaken targets vulnerable to freezing. When an enemy thaws out they will return to normal.
Effective against a wide variety of targets, the Cryo Grenade is great at rendering key targets completely helpless and vulnerable to enemy fire. It boasts a generously wide six-metre explosion radius, making it effective against groups and individuals alike thanks to its instant detonation when hitting an enemy. When frozen, most enemies will die extremely quickly to concentrated fire. Certain enemies are more or less vulnerable to freezing, but the general rule of thumb is the smaller a target, the easier they are to freeze and the longer they will take to thaw out. Bigger enemies such as Glyphid Praetorians and Glyphid Dreadnoughts will thaw out much faster, so taking them out quickly is essential to effective usage of the grenade.
The most obvious flaw of this grenade is its lack of direct damage, as with all the Scout's grenades. While it's certainly powerful, one must make sure you can follow up its effects with concentrated fire. It also produces a large white cloud of mist when it detonates successfully - this can potentially block one's vision while trying to fire upon targets.
Cryo Grenade Demonstration
- Pairs well with the M1000 Classic, which already deals very high single-shot damage.
- Frozen flying enemies (such as Mactera Spawn) will drop to the floor and die instantly when frozen. While hitting aerial foes with grenades is difficult, this can be a useful strategy in the Mactera Plague modifier.
- Spitball Infectors frozen by the Cryo are unable to fire their projectiles, and the Glyphid Brood Nexus cannot produce Glyphid Spawn either passively or on death.
- Hard counter to Glyphid Wardens, as it can render them immobile and allow you to deal huge damage to them regardless of where you shoot, often killing them instantly. Will likely also freeze their minions in the process, making for easy pickings.
- Not recommended for use in the Glacial Strata biome, as enemies there are (unsurprisingly) highly resistant to freeze effects.
- Capable of freezing teammates if they are caught in multiple blasts; exercise restraint when using this explosive.