|This article is a stub. You can help Deep Rock Galactic Wiki by .|
|Objective(s)||Escort the Drill,|
Crack the Shell,
Return Ommoran Heartstone
Escort Duty is a mission type in Deep Rock Galactic.
About[edit | edit source]
Escort Duty involves escorting a Drilldozer (also known as the Dozer, and affectionately named "Doretta" by the Dwarves), a large automated drilling machine, protecting it from attacking Creatures and repairing damage done to it. The Drilldozer's health is segmented into three parts: the left side, right side, and body. The left side will take damage until it breaks, then the right side, then the body. Damage dealt to any part of the Drilldozer will only affect the active segment. However, it can only be repaired from the area of the Drilldozer it maps to. When a segment reaches 0%, Mission Control will announce that the Drilldozer has taken permanent damage. The damaged segment cannot be repaired anymore and the next segment will begin taking damage. If the Drilldozer's body runs out of health, the mission fails.
The Drilldozer's speed is determined by how many Creatures and Dwarves are nearby. The more Creatures are present, the slower it will move, leaving it vulnerable to attack. Because of this, it is very important to stay near the Drilldozer to keep Creatures at bay and repair it quickly when it takes damage.
When the Drilldozer runs out of fuel, it must be refueled by extracting oil from Oil Shale. This is done using the Fuel Canisters taken from back of the Drilldozer. The beams emitted from the Canisters liquify the shale, which automatically collects the fuel. Oil Shale are very hard deposits and can be mined normally, but Dwarves cannot pick up the chunks, a delay similar to laser mining is applied when collected with the Canisters. Because of this, it is more efficient to use the Canisters on the Oil Shale directly. Once a Canister is filled, it must be inserted it back into the Drilldozer. When it is fully refueled, the Drilldozer must be manually restarted.
The Drilldozer will eventually arrive at the Ommoran Heartstone, a large spherical structure. The Drilldozer must be manually started again to begin drilling into the Heartstone. Swarms will spawn frequently throughout this entire process. Once the outermost shell is broken, the Heartstone will summon Flying Rocks, dropping them onto the Drilldozer. These deal around 30 damage to the Drilldozer per rock, so it is very important to destroy them before they reach the Drilldozer. When the last shell is exposed, Ommoran Beamers will raise out of the ground, emitting lasers at the Drilldozer. These crystals must be mined or drilled out to stop the beams. The drilling is completed when the Heartstone itself is exposed, which can then be picked up and deposited. Doing so completes the primary objective.
Cave[edit | edit source]
Compared to the caves seen in other mission types, most of the "rooms" are not connected by tunnels or Compressed Dirt barriers. The only way to proceed is by accompanying the Drilldozer, which is programmed to follow a path to the Ommoran Hearthstone. This encourages the team to stay by the Dozer and protect it. Wherever the Dozer digs creates large tunnels in its wake, which can be navigated through later and are often necessary to use for the Extraction phase. The Dozer will only ever run out of fuel in the middle of a room, making Oil Shales easier to locate and collect. The Heartstone itself is found in a larger room and is fairly easy to spot given its dark red glow.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Because it is necessary to guard Doretta at all times, it is not suggested to try completing tertiary objectives such as Cargo Crates or Machine Events while she is in transit. Wait until the Heartstone has been extracted, then return to their location and complete them.
- Using a Driller Satchel Charge on an Oil Shale deposit and collecting the chunks with the Fuel Canister is the most efficient way to refuel. Picking up the chunks still have the 0.45s delay similar to mining.
- In the final room, mine or drill out the features jutting out of the rock to make for a flatter fighting area.
- When cracking the shell of the Ommoran Heartstone, have at least one Dwarf stay by the Drilldozer to repair it while the rest of the team deals with the Swarms and the Heartstone's defenses.
- Mining out a Ommoran Beamer from its base will cause the entire structure to collapse, as such the Driller Reinforced Power Drills make quick work of them.
- Using a weapon that destroys terrain, such as the "Thunderhead" Heavy Autocannon, you can quickly disarm the Ommoran Beamers by shooting the tip of the Beamer.
- Placing platforms around the Drilldozers base will allow better contrast between the bugs and the color of the Ommoran Bedrock that is below the Drilldozer during the drilling process, allowing you to more easily spot what type and how many bugs are attacking the Drilldozer.
- Keep in mind that after the Drilldozer breaks through each section of the Ommoran Heartstone, the platforms will be destroyed.
Objectives[edit | edit source]
Primary Objective[edit | edit source]
- Escort the Drill
- Crack the Shell of the Ommoran Heartstone
- Return the Ommoran Heartstone
The amount of times the Drilldozer will need to be refueled depends on the mission length.
Secondary Objective[edit | edit source]
Collect 10 Alien Fossil
Collect 15 Apoca Bloom
Collect 20 Boolo Cap
Collect 14 Ebonut
Exterminate 10 Fleas
Collect 12 Gunk Seed
Collect 25 Hollomite
Gallery[edit | edit source]
The Heartstone after being deposited on the M.U.L.E..
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This mission type was added in Update 32: Roughnecks At Work.
- Repairing the Drilldozer uses various tools instead of the typical hammer used when constructing/repairing objects, including a pipe wrench and an oil can.
- It is possible to pet the Drilldozer by pressing the E key on its "head", found at the top of its body behind the drill.
- Pressing the Salute key while holding a Fuel Canister causes the dwarf to say a beer-holding salute line.