|Rock Hardness||2 (Medium)|
|Unique Hazard(s)||Blizzard, Cold Vent, Cryo Bomb, Crevasse, Unstable Icicle|
|Unique Enemy Type(s)||Ice Enemy Variations, Naedocyte Shocker|
|“||At least one of our xenogeologists quit in a rage when research started on this region. Instead of having conventional polar ice caps, and in violation of all physical laws we know of, the continental plates of Hoxxes rest on top of a planetwide permafrost layer several miles deep. As always, DRG recommends a "don't ask" approach when dealing with the peculiarities of Hoxxes' makeup.||„|
|~ Ingame description|
The Glacial Strata is one of the biomes of Hoxxes IV. The Glacial Strata consists of an anomalous planetwide layer of permafrost. The ice making up the caves is durable, meaning it takes two hits for it to give way.
Hazards[edit | edit source]
The Glacial Strata will require temperature management to prevent freezing. When a dwarf's temperature meter reaches its lowest point, the dwarf will freeze solid, immobilizing them and forcing them into third person. Dwarves can unfreeze themselves by alternate mashing their move left and right keys, but it is much slower than two subsequent hits from a teammate's pickaxe.
The Glacial Strata are home to quite a few unique hazards which can leave an unprepared miner trapped or downed at a moments notice.
- Green stalactites filled with algae can be found on the ceiling of many caves. They're similar to Unstable Crystals in the Salt Pits, and will deal large amounts of damage to anything they fall on.
- Crevasses may open up under areas that players have recently passed over, possibly temporarily trapping less mobile dwarves. Crevasses can be particularly dangerous if opened during swarms.
- Ice vents occasionally blast cold air capable of rapidly decreasing a dwarf's temperature meter.
- Smooth ice will cause the player to slip around, resulting in a reduced ability to stop and reverse direction.
- Heavy snow will impede the player's movement, preventing them from running in it. Heavy snow will also reduce fall damage when landed in, helping dwarves safely drop down from small cliffs.
- Blizzards, similar to the Sandstorms, reduces movement speed of Dwarves and creatures, while also reducing visibility for the Dwarves. Blizzards also gradually deplete the temperature meter until they pass.
Enemies[edit | edit source]
Several enemies have a unique ice-themed variation that appears instead of their regular counterpart. Their attacks are also affected, e.g. Glyphid Frost Praetorians spew frost that can freeze dwarves solid, instead of corrosive acid. Glacial Strata enemy variants are far weaker to fire than creatures found elsewhere on Hoxxes, but are highly resistant to temperature reductions. Naedocyte Shockers are exclusive to the Glacial Strata and the Dense Biozone.
Biome Features[edit | edit source]
Ores[edit | edit source]
As with every biome, some of the Ores that can be found in the Glacial Strata are determined by the mission type, such as Morkite and Aquarq. The crafting materials found in the Glacial Strata are Magnite and Umanite, with Magnite being abundant and Umanite being scarce.
Media[edit | edit source]
The following video is outdated footage of the developers demonstrating the various features in the region.