Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|Rock Hardness||2 (Medium)|
|Unique Hazard(s)||Blizzard, Cold Vent, Cryo Bomb, Crevasse, Unstable Icicle|
|Unique Enemy Type(s)||Ice Enemy Variations, Naedocyte Shocker|
|“||At least one of our xenogeologists quit in a rage when research started on this region. Instead of having conventional polar ice caps, and in violation of all physical laws we know of, the continental plates of Hoxxes rest on top of a planetwide permafrost layer several miles deep. As always, DRG recommends a "don't ask" approach when dealing with the peculiarities of Hoxxes' makeup.||„|
|~ Ingame description|
The Glacial Strata is one of the biomes of Hoxxes IV, located in the north-west of the planet. The Glacial Strata consists of mostly frozen salt water, drained down from the Salt Pits above,  and various other obstacles.
Hazards[edit | edit source]
The Glacial Strata will require temperature management to prevent freezing. When a dwarf's temperature meter reaches it's lowest point, the dwarf will freeze solid, immobilizing them and forcing them into third person. Dwarves can unfreeze themselves by alternate mashing their move left and right keys, but it is much slower than two subsequent hits from a teammate's pickaxe.
The Glacial Strata are home to quite a few unique hazards which can leave an unprepared miner trapped or downed at a moments notice.
- Green stalactites filled with algae can be found on the ceiling of many caves. They similar to Unstable Crystals in the Salt Pits, and will deal large amounts of damage to anything they fall on.
- Crevices may open up under areas that players recently passed over, possibly temporarily trapping less mobile dwarves. Crevices can be particularily dangerous if opened during swarms.
- Ice vents occasionally blast cold air capable of rapidly decreasing a dwarf's temperature meter. Enemies
- Smooth ice will cause the player to slip around, resulting in a reduced ability to stop and reverse direction.
- Heavy snow will impede the player's movement, preventing them from running in it. Heavy snow will also reduce fall damage when landed in, helping dwarves safely drop down from small cliffs.
- Blizzards, similar to the Sandstorms, impede the players movement by slowing them and reduce visibility. Blizzards also gradually deplete the temperature meter, so it is recommened that the team remain at a heat vent until the blizzard passes.
Enemies[edit | edit source]
Several enemies have a unique ice-themed variation that appears instead of their regular counterpart. Their attacks are also affected, e.g. Ice Praetorians spew frost that can freeze dwarves instead of damaging acid. Glacial Strata enemy variants are weaker to the Drillers CRSPR Flamethrower, but are more resistant to his Cryo Cannon alternate primary weapon. Naedocyte Shockers are exclusive to Dense Biozone and Glacial Strata.
Biome Features[edit | edit source]
Media[edit | edit source]
The following video is outdated footage of the developers demonstrating the various features in the region.