|Burn T°C||Freeze T°C|
|Douse Fire T°C||Unfreeze T°C|
|Cooling Rate||Warming Rate|
|“||The Mactera Spawn is the most common of the Mactera, and illustrates precisely why DRG's position is to annihilate this species utterly. Fast, efficient, and utterly horrible, the Mactera Spawn will do its best to overwhelm its enemies through sheer numbers, and then swoop in to liquify and suck out the remains using a proboscis the approximate size and shape of an old-war bayonet. Shoot to kill any time you spot any of these flying horrors.||„|
|~ Miner's Manual Description|
The Mactera Spawn is a hostile creature found on Hoxxes IV. It is the most common member of the Mactera species, and a semi-familiar sight down in the caves. It takes flight by four large wings found on its abdomen, and is always found flying. Like Glyphid Grunts, they can sometimes be found idly wondering the caves, but most of the time they are seen flying into action to fight the Dwarves. While Mactera Spawn aren't always common, they spawn in great numbers if the Mactera Plague mutator is active, often to the point of outnumbering Glyphids.
The Mactera Spawn's primary technique is a yellow spit attack. To do this, they will "lock on" to a single target and face them exclusively, hovering a set distance away from their target. They will then puff up their abdomens for a second before firing. The attack is quite dangerous as it deals fairly high damage and is accurate even at a distance. On higher Hazard levels, the Mactera Spawn will prepare its attack quicker and the resulting projectile will fly faster, making it harder to dodge up close. Fighting a Spawn is especially dangerous while riding a Zipline, as their spit attack can instantly knock one off the line, potentially plummeting to their doom.
Alongside their spit attack, Mactera Spawn are highly mobile foes. While their spit requires them to remain stationary, they can use their flight to juke the Dwarves, zipping about in random directions. In doing this they are quite difficult to hit, and trying to fire upon a Mactera in this state will often result in wasting ammo - it is better to wait for them to finish dodging and start charging their Spit attack.
Due to their nature as a flying enemy, Mactera Spawn present new challenges to the Dwarves but are also vulnerable to certain attacks. They are able to avoid most Grenades unless directly hit, and they have considerable power in numbers. Mactera will often accompany Glyphids during Swarms, forcing the Dwarves to focus their gunfire on both the ground and the air.
The Mactera Spawn does have several weaknesses, however. Most prominently they take 300% damage when their abdomens are targeted. Given that they make their weak spots very noticeable whilst charging their attack, quick-witted players can dispose of Mactera Spawn fast before they get a chance to fire their spit. Stunning a Mactera will cancel their spitting charge, forcing them to start over. Mactera Spawn also take double damage from Fire, Explosive and Melee attacks (though the latter is obviously quite hard to hit). They also have no Armour Plating to help them resist damage, like most creatures do.
Combat[edit | edit source]
Health and Armor[edit | edit source]
The Mactera Spawn's health is affected only by Hazard Level, and not by player count.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
- Spit - deals 15 damage
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Mactera Spawn are easily defeated by weapons which deal high damage in a single shot. Both the Scout's M1000 Classic and the Gunner's Heavy Revolver can kill Mactera Spawn with a single shot to the abdomen with the right modifications.
- The Gunner's Shield Generator offers excellent protection from Mactera, as the projected barrier can completely block their spit attacks while providing a safe space to fire back in.
- The Driller must be cautious around Mactera Spawn, as his primary weapons have short ranges which Mactera Spawn can easily fly out of. The Subata pistol is an effective tool to deal with them, but only use it if forced to in self-defence - your teammates should be taking care of the Mactera for you.
- While the CRSPR Flamethrower's range is low, any Mactera Spawn stupid or unfortunate enough to get caught in range will be quickly toasted due to their innate weakness to fire.
- The Impact Axe is a great tool for felling Mactera Spawn, as an axe thrown to their abdomen weak spots is more than enough to instantly drop them.
- The Cryo Cannon is an especially effective tool against any type of Macteras - when they freeze, they fall to the ground and shatter instantly.
- The Engineer can provide effective covering fire from Mactera Spawn with his turrets. His personal weaponry is also acceptable to deal with Mactera - particularly the Auto 210 shotgun - though he may be forced to close some distance to deal good damage to them.
- The Scout can use his Cryo Grenade to instantly shatter a pack of Macteras.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]