This page is up to date for Update 31: What Was Left Behind
||No respectable miner would leave home without it.
||~ Item Description
The Pickaxe is a fundamental Support Tool available to every class. By default, it is bound to the right mouse button when using a Keyboard and Mouse, and the Left Trigger on controllers. Swinging the Pickaxe at terrain will destroy it, allows the player to shape the environment around them. The Pickaxe is also used to mine veins of resources, such as Morkite, where destroying them will immediately transfer the mined material into your mineral inventory. Normally only 40 of each resource can be carried at a time, but the inventory can be emptied by depositing into the M.U.L.E., Drop Pod, or Mine Head, and carry capacity can be improved through the Deep Pockets Perk and an Armor Rig upgrade.
The Pickaxe can also be used as a basic melee weapon to damage enemies. It does 27.5 damage per swing, instantly killing weak enemies such as Glyphid Swarmers. You will be unable to sprint for a short moment after attacking with your Pickaxe, making you vulnerable to attacks. With the "Power Attack" upgrade the Pickaxe is capable of dishing out much more damage by pressing the Right Mouse Button and then immediately followed by Left Mouse Button (Left Trigger followed by Right Trigger on an Xbox Controller). The "Power Attack" has a larger damage radius and much higher damage but there's a 30 second cooldown applied after each use.
There's currently two tiers and up to three mods per tier.
- Any pickaxe attack will do melee damage, not matter if it’s the normal attack or the power attack.
- Base melee damage is 11.
- Skull Crusher Ale adds 10 damage to your melee attack.
- See You In Hell passive effect adds 20 damage to your melee attack.
- Your melee attack is made of 2 hits:
- The first hit is 1 time your base melee damage versus single targets. It benefits from weakpoints and deals triple damage versus frozen targets.
- The second hit is 1.5 times you base melee damage. It doesn’t benefit from weakpoints or frozen targets but ignores light/medium armor.
- So with that in mind here are a few examples on how melee damage works:
- Your basic pickaxe attack damage:
- 11 + 11 x 1.5 = 27.5 melee damage
- With Skull Crusher Ale: (11 + 10) + (11 + 10) x 1.5 = 52.5 melee damage
- With See You in Hell: (11 + 20) + (11 + 20) x 1.5 = 77.5 melee damage
- With both buffs: (11 + 10 + 20) + (11 + 10 + 20) x 1.5 = 102.5 melee damage
- Weakpoint damage versus a grunt head:
- 11 x 2 + 11 x 1.5 = 38.5 melee damage
- With See You in Hell (11 + 20) x 2 + (11 + 20) x 1.5 = 108.5 melee damage (enough to kill a grunt in any difficulty)
- The pickaxe's handle changes color depending on the class.
- Driller used to have an upgrade that would allow him to mine terrain with less hits.
- Most pickaxe handles will appear brown in the equipment terminal.
- Driller's pickaxe becomes solid yellow during a mission, but while in the Space Rig only the handle will stay yellow.