- This article refers to the Gunner's Utility tool. To read about shield hit points, universal across all classes, see Health.
|“||Projects an energy bubble that simultaneously keeps you reasonably safe from harm while recharging your shield. Comfortably fits a full team inside! Don't get too comfy, however... the effects do not last long.||„|
|~ Item Description|
About[edit | edit source]
The Shield Generator is a Support Tool for the Gunner. It is a hand-held, disc shaped projector device that creates a forcefield. The lights on the device glow blue when it is ready, red while it is recharging and dull grey when depleted.
The Shield Generator is thrown like the Driller's Satchel Charge - similar to a grenade but without the throwing arc visible when holding them. When tossed the Shield Generator will not activate until it touches a surface. Once it does, it will create a holographic, cyan-coloured protective bubble around the device. By default this lasts for six seconds. When that time is up, the shield will deactivate and the spent generator will "fly" to the Gunner's person, whereupon it begins the recharge process. The device cannot be used at all while recharging, but is instantly available the moment it finishes.
The Shield Generator is a powerful utility and invaluable to have in a variety of situations. While stood inside the Dwarves recieve 50% damage resistance and their personal shields will instantly start regenerating at 10 units a second. Chiefly however, no enemy can stand inside the barrier. When placed, it triggers a Fear Factor effect that scares away any enemy. This provides the dwarves with a safe spot to stand in and fire outside at oncoming enemies.
Furthermore, no enemy can enter the radius of the barrier; Glyphids will stand at the edge and scratch at the shields while flying enemies like Mactera will hover outside. Most projectile attacks (from enemies like Mactera Spawn and Glyphid Acidspitters) will be blocked by the barrier, though the Glyphid Praetorian's acid spray attack will cut through. Happily though, the rapid shield regeneration and damage resistance means that dwarves are nigh invincible while using the device to almost all forms of damage.
Despite its incredible protective features, the Shield Generator does have considerable flaws. The long recharge period and limited supply of just four generators means that the Gunner has to be highly selective of when and where to use his barriers. Certain enemies have unique attacks to cut through the shield; the aforementioned Praetorian acid spray is one. Glyphid Oppressors and Q'ronar Shellbacks have special attacks which can knock players out of the shield (the ground stomp for the former and rolling form for the latter). Glyphid Bulk Detonators in particular are hard counters to the Shield Generator, as their close-ranged explosive attack can pierce through the barrier and deal high damage to players inside.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- The device only activates when it hits the ground. For this reason, one can deploy it instantly by looking straight down and throwing it at the floor.
- The Shield Generator is invaluable during Salvage Operation missions, which can easily cover all four dwarves while stood inside the triangulation/refuelling zones.
- The Shield Generator can be used to cover oneself when reviving teammates, collecting resupplies and other minute tasks on high hazard levels when there are many enemies swarming, and performing these actions without cover would be dangerous.
Modifications[edit | edit source]
There's three tiers and each tier has up to three upgrades, only one upgrade can be equipped per tier.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Shield Generator replaced the Satchel Charge as the Gunner's Support Tool when Update 19: Guns! Lots of Guns! was released.
- While this was done for gameplay reasons, an in-universe explanation was also provided for the change. The Gunner was unsatisfied with sharing equipment with "Drill-boy", so he called in a favour with Deep Rock Galactic's R&D division to make him a unique device to suit his role. R&D returned to him with the Shield Generator, which more than satisfied his demands.
- Despite the numbers shown in the in-game tooltip, modifications that extend duration are approximately twice as effective than what is stated.