|This article is a stub. You can help Deep Rock Galactic Wiki by .|
|Immunity||Stun, Pheromone Aggro, L.U.R.E.|
|Weakpoint / Unbreakable Armor|
|Burn T°C||Freeze T°C|
|Douse Fire T°C||Unfreeze T°C|
|Cooling Rate||Warming Rate|
|“||Rarely we agree with Deep Rock Galactic Management, but Spitball Infectors are disgusting. We are not totally sure what they are spitting, but we don't like it. Please go do something about them!||„|
|~ Interplanetary Miner's Union|
The Spitball Infector (also known as the Spitballer by the Dwarves) is a hostile Creature on Hoxxes. It can be found in any region of the planet. A seemingly grey line between flora and fauna, the Spitball infector defies traditional classifications and is a hard creature to describe, other than that it is fully organic. The Spitballer's towering body is comprised of green "flesh", white it has a blue carapace on its base and head. It does not appear to have any organs besides its large, gaping mouth and two glowing bulbs on its body - one in its centre (or neck) while the other on the back of its head. It can also make various grunting noises when waking or attacking.
The Spitballer is a completely immobile enemy and is spawned in via level creation, meaning that the only Spitballers seen in a level are those which can be discovered, no more will spawn in once they are killed. They will always spawn rooted to the floor and are surrounded by "Infector Bulbs", purely cosmetic lumps of an organic material similar in color to the Infector itself. It starts out in a "sleeping" state, curled up in a ball. When approached or shot at, the Spitballer will unfurl itself into its base height - in this state is it easily amongst the biggest creatures in the game. Once a Spitballer wakes up it will not go back to sleep and must be killed.
Its only attack is to fire acidic mortar globs. It telegraphs this attack by swelling up for a second and then spewing the glob at the nearest Dwarf target. These globs have unlimited range, as does the Spitballer's capacity for aiming them. They can travel quite fast through the air and can deal quite a lot of damage if land a direct hit, both qualities which are improved on higher Hazard Levels. When a Spitballer swells up it conceals its weakspots slightly by sucking them inwards, making them harder to hit. The Spitballer will continue to fire these acid globs for as long as it lives, and has a visible target. Thankfully the globs can be shot down with weapons fire, but considering how fast they travel this strategy loses effectiveness the closer one gets to a Spitballer.
As it is immobile the Spitballer is quite an easy target, but it has a generous 800 base Health to keep it going. It is also completely immune to Stuns. Its bulbs count as weakspots and take double damage from all sources, so targeting them as often as possible is strongly recommended. Furthermore, it takes an increased %100 damage from fire attacks (hinting to its nature as a plant).
Combat[edit | edit source]
Health and Armor[edit | edit source]
Attacks[edit | edit source]
The Spitballer's only attack is to spit globs of acid at players. These globs of acid travel quickly and do heavy damage, especially on higher Hazard levels, but are also highly visible, telegraphed and can be destroyed mid-flight. Hence, getting close to a Spitballer is ill-advised as this will make it harder to both dodge or destroy the projectiles before impact.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Despite their concealed nature, a sleeping Spitballer is fairly easy to spot in the darkness as its weakspots glow in the dark. The bulb on the back of its neck in particular is very easy to spot while it is sleeping.
- Try not to wake up a Spitballer until you are ready to engage it. Don't chip away at it with a weapon that's not meant for long-range combat, as this will do very little to damage it and only wake it up. Given their unlimited range and lack of damage fall-off, they can be particularly deadly to a team which does not have the capacity to fight back.
- Spitballers are just as dangerous up close as they are far away, as their projectiles become much harder to dodge or shoot down.
- Unlike other high-health enemies with weakspots, the bulbs on the Spitballer cannot break, so there's no reason not to be targeting them at all times.
- The M1000 Classic is an excellent weapon to take down Spitballers with, as its perfectly-accurate Focus Shots deal extreme damage to the bulbs from long range. You can score a free hit on the Spitballer's bulbs while it it sleeping.
- The Heavy Revolver is another great accurate, long-range weapon to kill a Spitballer with. Just keep in mind the limited amount of shots in the cylinder, and aim directly for the bulbs.
- The Breach Cutter is like a guillotine to the Spitballer, slicing clean through its neck and dealing massive damage to it. This is further amplified if you can hit the weak spots.
- The CRSPR Flamethrower has a huge damage bonus on the Spitballer and can quickly rack up damage on it. However, given its short range, closing in on a Spitballer is incredibly risky.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]