I have been translating the Deep Rock Galactic wiki for some time now (main page + all of the ones linked on it are done - just add /fr to see them), and I would like to know if it could be possible to create a subwiki for french, the same way it was done for Spanish?
(I have not translated any of the templates for now, to avoid accidentally breaking a page on the main wiki, so some parts of the translated page are still in English...)
- Yes, in fact, please do not translate templates over here. It makes moving pages over more complicated.
- The biggest thing I like to have is for all the mainspace articles linked from the main page to be translated so that there are no redlinks on the new wiki's main page after I've completed all the setup. This is pretty close to done, but the Deep Rock Galactic and Release date pages don't seem to have French versions yet. When those are done, I can probably set up a French Deep Rock Galactic Wiki next week assuming I don't get any other projects in the meantime. OOeyes (talk) 09:25, 3 April 2020 (UTC)
- Hello again, the last two pages required to open the new wiki are done. Is there anything I should do/know for the next step ?
- Azerty11235 (talk) 17:13, 6 April 2020 (UTC)
I am a new user here in GamePedia wikis, but it's not the first wiki I have worked with in the past. Considering this, and the fact that I am helping Ghost Ship Games to translate the game "Deep Rock Galactic" to Spanish (Spain), I was wondering if you would allow me to create a Spanish wiki for DRG which would basically be a translated version of what the english one is. Building the template might take me some time as it has plenty of things to be added, but I believe that slowly but surely the spanish wiki can be completed and would help people follow games news, check statistics and many other things in their language, which most probably might increase their interest to keep playing it.
Would you then agree on me copying your DRG wiki (of course with a big and clear mention about it in the main page) and translating it into spanish? If so, what would be the process for it? Do you know how to do it properly to pair both pages somehow? Any tips about this would be highly appreciated.
Looking forward to receiving any response from your side, best regards,
Not OOeyes but I do have the answers.
Also the #Wiki-releated-chatroom channel on the DRG Discord would be the best place to discuss these kind of things
- Yes, that's right. I usually like to see about 10 to 20 pages translated, including the main page and all wiki pages it links to, before I'll ask for a subdomain to be set up. OOeyes (talk) 13:29, 10 January 2020 (UTC)
Thank you both for your replies. I will start with the process right away. I am an active DRG Discord channel member, so I can discuss such things around there, for sure. I asked there and was prompted to ask the wiki devs about whether if they agree on my approach. Now with your approval I will start with the process, hopefully making you happy about the final result.
Thank you again for your time, best regards,
Quick question: can I use this to contact you for wiki edition questions? Let me know if that is the case. Two pages are already created and translated (still polishing things here and there, but it will follow its own pace). I was wondering if, by any chance, you guys know the parameters of the infobox "game" so that I could eventually create one with the titles being translated (otherwise, if I start from scratch, I might not use exactly the same infobox...which I suspect is also not terrible either). Any comments on that?
Thanks in advance. Best regards,
- Templates are usually documented. You can go to their pages to see it, and there's a "Templates used on this page" down near the bottom when you have a page open for editing (at least when editing the source, anyway). But I wouldn't worry about the infobox titles. They automatically draw from the page name if you don't provide one, and once things are transferred to a new subdomain, you'll want to move the pages to their Spanish names, so it's probably not worth your time to translate them just yet. OOeyes (talk) 21:25, 10 January 2020 (UTC)
Mirageionova: Got it, will concentrate on translating full pages and polishing details later on. Just dont want you to feel like my translations are incomplete and deny me the possibility to continue with the task due to "unprofessional translations". Thanks for your advice, hace a nice sunday.
Mirageionova: Hi OOeyes. Hope you are doing well. The progress of the spanish translation of the wiki is progressing well. I'm trying to polish the links now so that the established 36 pages can link correctly between them. In any case there is still work to be done, but I think I am doing a good job in the translation/reformatting. Thanks for your initial help, and I look forward to being ready for a migration to the spanish subdomain once you let me know what is missing. Best regards.
- I think is a good enough start for an ES wiki to be spun up. I'm requesting that a new wiki will be deployed, and then I'll need some time to set it up and transfer pages over. I'm not sure how quickly the wiki will be ready for set up, but I can probably have it ready within a day or two of that. OOeyes (talk) 12:10, 12 February 2020 (UTC)
No rush at all. I just felt like informing you since you were helping me with this from the very beginning and you told me a 15-20 page setup with good links would be a good start. Links are still being polished, but they are better and better. So as I said, not rush at all. Once you have the time to get it ready, let me know in case I can help with something. Thanks again for all your advice not to screw it up more often. Regards.
- Alright, the Spanish Wiki is partially set up, and I would encourage any further editing to happen over there. I'm not going to announce it more widely just yet because I need to troubleshoot why it is not loading images from the English wiki like it's supposed to and still have some other odds and ends to sort out. So don't worry about trying to upload all the missing images; I should be able to sort that out sooner or later, but since pages have been transferred over, any edits to Spanish pages here might get lost. OOeyes (talk) 06:22, 14 February 2020 (UTC)
- Also, could I get the following translated, please? "The official wiki resource for the cooperative PC first-person shooter/mining game Deep Rock Galactic by Ghost Ship Games." OOeyes (talk) 06:57, 14 February 2020 (UTC)
- The problem with images has been sorted out, and the Spanish Wiki is basically ready now. Please feel free to use the claim button over there once you've made some edits there. OOeyes (talk) 15:13, 15 February 2020 (UTC)
Mirageionova: My apologies for the late reply. Was out for a conference trip and had no access to Gamepedia. Many thanks for your help with images and with the overall migration. I'm happy you have dedicated so much time on it, and I will keep working on that wiki to maintain it polished and to help others to contribute as well. With respect to the required translation from the sentence you posted earlier: "Wiki oficial de recursos para Deep Rock Galactic, juego de exploración cooperativo/shooter en primera persona para PC." I will do some edits soon and claim it, and keep it rolling. One last thing: since some pages have not yet been transferred, how shall I proceed with them? Do I copy code and create the page in the ES wiki, then mark the one in the EN one for deletion? What would you recommend? Again many thanks for all your help. Wish you a great start of the week.